The Netherlands Institute for the Study of Crime and Law Enforcement employs almost 60 staff members; scientific researchers, post-doctoral researchers, PhD candidates and support staff. Most of the NSCR staff is supported by the Institutes Organisation of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO-I) or has a (part-time) contract in collaboration with Dutch universities.
The NSCR regularly has space for interns. Acquisition is not appreciated.
2 internships: how do criminals increase their sales of stolen account credentials on cryptomarkets and other online platforms?
NSCR is one of the world-leading criminological research institutes where multidisciplinary research is conducted in national and international partnerships. The Cybercrime cluster is a diverse group of researchers dedicated to the study of online crimes and criminal behavior. You will develop a tool for web scraping or machine learning, which contributes to a project on account hijacking.
Account hijacking is currently one of the most common online crimes in the Netherlands. We are investigating the trade in stolen account credentials as well as account hijackers’ behaviors before and after obtaining such credentials. During your internship, you will develop either a web scraper or a data classifier. Two students can work independently on developing these tools:
1. You will rebuild or optimize a web scraper to scrape regular websites and Tor hidden services at regular time intervals for a couple of weeks.
2. You will build and test a classifier to categorize illegal products offered in posts on different online platforms. Part of the posts to be categorized is already labeled.
Who are you?
You are an ambitious student with a background in Computer Science or Artificial Intelligence. You want to gain hands-on experience with developing your own tools to investigate web content. You have a curious yet critical mindset and you can work independently.
Wat do we offer you?
- The possibility to develop your own web or data tool during your internship.
- The possibility to promote you and your work for a larger (relevant) audience.
- An internship pay.
- A workplace where you can learn about all sorts of crime and criminal justice systems.
- Flexible working days and hours.
- The possibility to become a ping-pong master (if you are not one already).
Duration and location
Your internship will last approximately two months. NSCR is located at the VU University campus
(Initium building), so you can easily combine your internship with lectures or working groups.
Do you think you are the one for this internship? We look forward to hearing from you. Please send a
short motivation letter (max. 1 page) and your resume to the project leader Renushka Madarie via